Mom once asked me, "What was your best Christmas?" My response stunned her. Turns out, it was the year she and Dad didn't have enough money to truly make Christmas nice. They had so little she cried because they were able to buy only a very few gifts. However, my mom was great about packaging the least little thing and putting it under the tree. Much-needed clothing was in a lot of the Christmas packages. Mom and Dad were able to buy a violin for me at a reasonable price from a friend.
Here are my memories ...
Laying across the chair in the family room in my new warm robe and toasty slippers
Basking in the fact that I now had my very own violin.
Thinking "This was the best Christmas EVER"
I had no idea it was a lean year!
So, all of you parents concerned that Christmas for your kids won't be as festive this year, turn the celebration into homemade fun. Aren't our most cherished ornaments the crinkled paper ones the kids made when they were little? Cut, Paste, Craft, Bake, and make it all about family and worship time. Who knows, your kids just may think "This is the best Christmas EVER!"
Cruise Day 10
14 years ago

3 comments:
Thanks, Sharon! It is always an encouragement to be reminded that Christmas isn't about gifts. It is about love of family, celebrating God's gift, and making family memories. :) What a wonderful story!
Thank you!! That was wonderful!
Jason & I never knew about lean years, either.
I'm all for a homespun Christmas this year!!
Wow, I'm not spendin' nothin on Christmas this year!
Post a Comment