People often ask "Why are you learning ASL?" For a long time I couldn't give an answer because I couldn't remember what started my dream to learn. Dewey has a better memory than I do (is that why I married a YOUNGER man?) He reminded me that I first decided to learn because of Tess Lake!
Tess, a beautiful Deaf woman, came to our church. My friend, Christy, was her interpreter. I wanted to talk to Tess so I asked her and Christy to teach me. That was the beginning of a wonderful adventure! Tess and Christy taught me a few basics and encouraged me to take a class. (The mistake I made calling Christy a bad name can't be written in a blog that I want kept G-rated!)
Thus began the search! Classes were not easy to find but I was determined. I went to a bookstore to find a basic sign-language book that Tess recommended. I noticed a woman buying five copies of a sign-language book. Having a rare moment of insightfulness, I thought, "She must be a teacher! Who else would buy five copies of the same book??" Swallowing my usual fear of talking to strangers (yes I got over that fear. Now I talk to everyone. But I digress!) I asked, "Are you a teacher?" "YES I teach at my Church." She promised to call the next time she offered a class. Six months later I got a call. "Hi this is Dee Dee. You won't remember me but ..." I interrupted, "Of course I remember you! When is the next class???"
My efforts to learn took me to different community colleges where I repeated the second-year level five times. I was frustrated not being able to make more progress.
I had a dream of going to Gallaudet University to take their summer immersion program. That dream presented several problems ... Money, hot humid weather, Money, work, Money ... but I didn't let the dream die over such mundane matters!
I found a similar class at Sacramento State University. With a lot of help from family, friends, co-workers, and my bosses, the dream came true! The course was two-weeks long, covering level two the first week and level three second week. I have never been so exhausted in my life, but I was joyous because my dream was coming true!
I returned home and my Deaf friends said I made obvious improvement in my signing skills. "PAH" (That's "Finally" in ASL).
I still search for classes but mostly associate with friends. I go to an ASL club every week, an ASL coffee chat once a month, and attend Deaf church once a month. I have made so many wonderful friends in the Deaf community: patient Deaf friends, and other ASL students who are as eager as I am to learn.
Now you know! ... p.s. if you ever see Tess Lake, please ask her to contact me. I can communicate with her now!!
Cruise Day 10
14 years ago

3 comments:
Oh I love your blog on ASL! My little Annie is beginning to love ASL becuase of her Grammy Sharon (as she called you when she was younger. She wants ASL to be her second language and often asks if there are classes in ASL for 5 yr olds. Maybe I will have to blog on this since this post is becoming long.
YES there are classes for five year olds ... it's called "Visiting Grammy!"
Great blog on ASL. Now it is time for a blog on the violin..... or is the fiddle?
Post a Comment