Monday, July 28, 2008

Fiddle

I want to play the fiddle with a bluegrass band. Yes really! No kidding.

I took violin lessons for many years but never was serious enough to actually want to spend much time practicing. I joined Riverside Junior Symphony and had a lot of fun. Mostly it was a social event for me. Playing with a symphony was great, but I was pretty bad. I sat with the junior high kids even though I was in high school. My good friend, David Simmons, "challenged" me and got my seat. That put me, one of the tallest high school kids, in the back of the junior high section. Thankfully, when it was time for performance David told me, "I only challenged you to prove I could win. I don't care where I sit. You can have your seat back!" I gladly accepted.

Junior symphony accompanied a children's musical about Mother Goose. Oh that was wonderful fun. That experience may have triggered my interest in singing in musicals. Not that I was serious enough about that to make it come true either.

I had the most fun with my violin playing jigs and reels from a book my teacher recommended. That was strictly for fun. I loved it!

Years later I thought it would be fun to take up the violin again. I got out my trusty insrument, paid a small fortune for new strings and having the bow re-haired. Then I tried playing it. OH MY not a nice sound at all. I bought some bluegrass books and started practicing. What fun that was!! But ... oooooohhhh what pain. How can I put this without having my son tease me? I have arthritus in my hands. (I am NOT old, David! I'm feisty! You'd better remember it too!) I probably need a different dream for my retirement other than playing fiddle in a bluegrass band.
No Karyn my retirement goal won't be blogging!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no. I thought you were planning to become a fiddle virtuoso in your retirement years and pay for your nursing home. Now I guess you will have to go back to your old plan and live with your son. :)

SSquyres said...

That's a great idea. I won't have to play like a virtuoso at David's house ... just very loud. And I love playing drums in the rock band game. I'm sure he will look forward to that. Plus don't forget, my penguin collection needs to live with me!

David Squyres said...

HEY! I'm changing the deal. I get dad... Karyn says he's low matainance, just plug him in to a computer. Mom is taking up the DRUMS!!! This is wrong.

Your penguin collection will do great in the 29 Palms heat.